Friday, September 21, 2012

Outfoxing Censors for Fifty-Six years

When last we got together I was reviewing Lynn Kostoff’s A Choice of Nightmares. As usual, after posting the review to my blog and blurbing it at Facebook, I took it to Amazon, where it occurred to me this line might raise an eyebrow or two:
…a good character study of a man who, basically, lacks character and will pretty much follow his dick whichever way the wind blows.
Yesterday I received this email from Amazon:
“Thanks for submitting a customer review on Amazon. Your review could not be posted to the website in its current form.”
The email never says the review was rejected because I’m a potty mouth, but that was a good guess. Undeterred, I edited only the passage noted above to read:
…a good character study of a man who, basically, lacks character and will pretty much follow his (male sex organ - different word used in original) whichever way the wind blows.
The review was accepted this morning.
Anyone who wouldn’t know what word I used originally would never have read the interview. Or is like this guy:  









1 comment:

winter said...

That happened to Stone +Parker when they were doing the the South Park Movie, they had some name like huge cocks or some such thing, the studio censor or the legal staff went bat shit . so they of course they renamed South Park Bigger Longer + Uncut . The poobahs didn't even notice until the film was in it's second week of release. LOL