Monday, October 20, 2014

500

This is the 500th edition of One Bite at a Time. Things were sporadic for quite a while after the first post on August 17, 2008, though I have settled into a semi-weekly routine that seems to work pretty well. Blogger tells me the all-time average number of views per post is 152, though in the past month that figure is 302, which I am interpreting as a growing reach, and, hopefully, a growing number of folks who are interested. My sincere thanks to everyone who stops by for a read, especially the regulars, and even more so to those who comment. Blogging is often a little like sending writing off into a void as NASA did with Voyager. It’s always good to receive some telemetry.

Now, for the news:

My World Tour began October 10 – 12 with an appearance at the Creatures, Crime, and Creativity conference outside of Baltimore. I was lucky enough to score a couple of nice panel gigs, made quite a few new friends, and learned a lot. I’ll be back next year.

October 30 – November 2 I’ll be attending NoirCon in Philadelphia.

November 13 – 16 The Beloved Spouse and I will be at Bouchercon in Long Beach (Los Angeles).

Speaking of Bouchercon, I’m taking this opportunity to announce a special event to take place there: the first ever Noir at the Breakfast Bar a/k/a N@bB. What the official program will bill as an Author Focus event in room Harbor A (Friday, November 14 at 9:00 AM) will actually be a hell of a lot more entertaining than watching me drone on or tap dance: a group reading of flash fiction. Not just any group. This group includes, alphabetically, Les Edgerton, Timothy Hallinan, and John McFetridge. (Yeah, you have to put up with me, too, but I’m the guy signed up for the time.) Each of us will read a piece of flash fiction, and we’ll have everyone out in 20 minutes. Stop by to help get your heart started as ease into your first full day of the conference. (Many thanks to the Godfather of Noir at the Bar, Peter Rozovsky, for allowing me to hitch my skateboard to his Maserati.)
                                                                                                               
This next can be viewed as news, or a warning: I hope to have a fully functional web site operational no later than early 2015. I’m researching other authors’ web sites for ideas I can steal borrow. If anyone has suggestions for an author site I might want to check out, please let me know.

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Hope to meet you at Noircon although I am not sure.

Dana King said...

Tease.

Mike Dennis said...

See you at NoirCon, Dana.

By the way, are you implying your site is not at present "fully functional"?

Dana King said...

Mike,
In a way, yes. This blog is nice, and it's fun, but it's also limited in what it can do. I hope to have an honest to God web site--with pages and links and free samples and all kinds of stuff--by the first of the year.