Friday, April 26, 2019

Dea Poirier, Author of Next Girl to Die



Dea (D.H) Poirier (dee pour-e-er) was raised in Edmond, Oklahoma, where she got her start writing in creative writing courses and attended The University of Central Oklahoma, majoring in Computer Science and Political Science. Later, she spent time living on both coasts, and traveling the United States, before finally putting down roots in Central Florida, thus establishing herself as a centrist. Dea now resides somewhere between Disney and the swamp. Next Girl to Die is her first novel.

One Bite at a Time: Tell us a little about Next Girl to Die.
Dea Poirier: Next Girl To Die is a mystery/police procedural where
Detective Claire Calderwood returns to her hometown of Vinalhaven, Maine after a girl dies in circumstances very similar to Claire's sister's unsolved homicide. Claire must battle with unresolved emotions regarding her sister's death while trying to hunt down a ritualistic serial killer before she or another girl on the island becomes the next girl to die.

OBAAT: What was it about this story that made you want to spend however much time it took to write?  
DP: I was really drawn to the island in Maine—Vinalhaven—where the story is set. While writing the story I did research on the town, the history of it, and how weave in some of the history/geography into the story itself.

OBAAT: While we’re at it, how long did it take you to write Next Girl to Die?
DP: Next Girl To Die took me about six weeks to write (maybe a touch longer, it’s been a while, as I originally wrote it in 2016). While writing the story I did research on the town, the history of it, and how weave in some of the history/geography into the story itself.

OBAAT: I hate to ask questions along the lines of “If you like _________, you’ll like my book,” but there’s also no point in ignoring the influences other authors and books have on us. What book or author had the most influence in how you wrote this book, even if that book or person is not a huge influence on your writing in general?
DP: I would say the biggest influence on this book was Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. I read it shortly before I started Next Girl to Die and it (and a lot of Law & Order SVU) helped inspire the story.

OBAAT: In cruising your web site and blog I noticed you do interviews yourself. In keeping with my policy of never asking people questions I wouldn’t be willing to answer myself, I’m going to steal a couple you asked others. (Hehehehe.)

What is your writing routine? (e.g. How do you carve out your writing time? Where do you normally write?)

DP: My writing routine has had to evolve around my family life and my
career. I used to get up at 4 am to write while everyone in my house was still asleep, but now I’ve had to shift to writing at night since my kid gets up early. On a typical day, I try to write during my lunch break if I can squeeze it in, then I try to carve out two hours (or a little more) at night for my writing time.

OBAAT: What is your favorite part of your writing process, and why?
DP: Drafting – I will forever love it. There’s something about getting that initial spark, the first hints of a story in my mind, chasing it down, and outlining how it will all flow into a story. I also enjoy writing a first draft.

OBAAT: What is the most challenging part of your writing process, and why?
DP: Editing the first draft. To me that’s the worst part, I second guess myself, I have a hard time visualizing how it will one day be a great draft. I find that once I get through the first two or three passes, I’m good. But those first few, they are the absolute worst.

OBAAT: What are you working on now?
DP: I’m currently working on a dual-timeline psychological suspense, two YA historical fantasies, and an adult historical fantasy.


No comments: