Thursday, December 14, 2023

Hill Street Moonlighting

 The Beloved Spouse™ and I recently opened the Hulu vaults for a couple of shows we loved when they were first aired, Hill Street Blues and Moonlighting. We did not last long with either.

 

Hill Street was first. Few programs have broken as much fertile ground as well as Steven Bochco’s premiere effort. The enormous ensemble cast, showing the cops’ lives beyond the station, the stresses no one thought about in the early 1980s. The list of what Bochco showed first could fill a blog post of its own.

 

That’s why I feel half guilty about cutting out near the end of Season 2. Bochco broke the ground, but a lot of people have since planted crops that flourished there. The Wire. The Shield. Even Bochco’s and David Milch’s NYPD Blue. All took the baton from Hill Street and ran with it, pushing the envelope ever farther. While they might not be here if not for Hill Street, Hill Street cannot compete.

 

Again, much of that is due to changing standards in television. Hill Street was among the first shows – and, I believe, the first cop show – to extend stories beyond one episode. This has become such a common thing it is now typical for crime series to invest an entire season in one primary line and hang lesser plots from that tentpole. Think of how clearly all five seasons of The Wire focused on a primary story while retaining others to flesh it out, sometimes going back all the way to the show’s origin.

 

Networks and streaming services now understand viewers have adequate attention spans to handle such programming; Bochco had to teach them. Watching several of the three-to-four-episode arcs we could not help but think that some stories deserved more time to breathe. Looking back forty years, Hill Street’s moves in that direction seem tentative. We’re past that now. Bochco’s genius was in many ways hoist on its own petard.

 

(Full disclosure: Hill Street left Hulu about the time we finished Season 1. We found it on Amazon, but after another handful of episodes they started charging $1.99 an episode, which adds up if you intend to watch them all. TBS found it on the Internet Archive, but that was more trouble than we wanted to take for a show we weren’t sure how long we wanted to stick with.)

 

Then there is Moonlighting. Both of us loved that show when it originally aired, but it fell flat with us after a few episodes on the re-viewing. What was wrong?

 

Personally, I remembered it as being funnier. I wondered why I didn’t think so this time – it’s not like my sense of humor has become any more elevated* – until TBS mentioned one evening how Bruce Willis’s irresponsible smart-ass act has been done to death. We were tired of it.

 

Again, it’s not Bruce Willis’s fault that he helped to create such a lasting trope. That still doesn’t make it any fresher after all this time. Each episode seemed like something we’d seen before, and done better.

 

(Even fuller disclosure: It also did not help that I have since learned Cybill Shepherd was a pluperfect bitch on the show. This is why it’s never good to know too much about performers’ backgrounds.)

 

I feel badly that two shows I loved when they were fresh and new no longer entertain me. It’s a little like seeing an old flame years later and expecting him or her to look the same. Even if their personalities haven’t changed – and certainly Hill Street’s and Moonlighting’s have not; I mean, they’re on videotape – they look and feel old.

 

So do I. That means I don’t have the time to stick with something because I might like it down the road; I don’t have as much road left as I used to, and it’s a dead end. I might watch Hill Street Blues again on my own sometime as research for a book, but probably not. There are far more timely and incisive examples today.

 

Thank you, Steven Bochco and Glen Gordon Caron, as well as everyone involved with each of your projects, for not only providing the younger me with wonderful and memorable entertainment, but also for raising my standards in such a manner your programs have lost much of their appeal, though not their luster.

 

(* - We watched both Cheers and Frazier start to finish a couple of years ago and loved them. All in the Family also holds up well.)

10 comments:

Alan Orloff said...

I tried to re-watch Hill Street Blues, too (loved it when it first aired). But I didn't make it to the end of the first episode. (LA Law, too.) Seemed dated. As do so many of those shows I loved the first time around. Sigh.

EA said...

I'm so delighted you're still blogging, Dana. Always great to read your take on writing and entertainment.
Elaine Ash

Jim said...

Pluperfect...pluperfect??? I had to look it up. I thought for sure it would've been a word you made up!

Cheers was such a great show.

Frank Zafiro said...

Sorry they didn't hold up, but excellent essay on the whys of it.

I think NYPD Blue holds up better. I recently (i.e., this year) re-watched THE SHIELD for the first time since its finale originally aired, and overall, it held up very well.

And, of course, TRUE DETECTIVE (season 1) is timeless...

One thing you didn't mention that I think might also play into our re-viewings (and perhaps explain some of the missing luster) is simply how the program was part of the zeitgeist of the time. People were watching it, commenting on it, discussing it at work, etc. On re-watch, there's none of that hype or community -- it's just what the show is all by itself. Hence, those cracks you point out in your post really show up..

Just my dos centavos.

Dana King said...

Thank you to all who commented. Your thoughts are much appreciated. Blogging exists in a bit of a void these days and it’s always nice to know folks are reading.
THE SHIELD is on our list of shows tore-watch, as we have not seen it since our initial binge that ended in either 2009 or 2010. (We did not see it when it was on FX.) TRUE DETECTIVE (Season 1) will make an appearance the next time we subscribe to MAX. (We tend to rotate the big subscription services for variety.)
I have only ever seen NYPD BLUE once, and that was six or seven year ago. Shows we are sure to revisit, as they have shown us they bear up under repeated viewings over time, include DEADWOOD, THE WIRE, JUSTIFIED, and THE SOPRANOS.
In the realm of comedy, we are currently watching MOM and loving it. I am seriously considering going back for BARNEY MILLER after MOM’s run ends.

Ef Deal said...

I love Hill Street rewatches for the now-A-listers who got their first tv shot there. So many!

June Lorraine Roberts said...

You got further than I did on Hill Street Blues. It just didn't hold and your thoughts on that nailed it for me.

Dana King said...

Ef,
It was fun to see Danny Glover turn up as a "reformed" criminal in Season 1, among others.

June,
Thanks. I so badly wanted to watch it i mihgt have stuck with it had not TBS asked if i was enjoying it. Once we got to that point, I couldn't help but ask why I wasn't.

E. Ellis said...

Interesting, indeed.

I never grow weary of HSB. There is something about it that always resonates with me. One thing it did so well was convey the dark humor of policing that sometimes is lost these days.

One program that I feel is consistently overlooked is that of Joseph Wambaugh's Police Story series. In ways, I think this was even more of a precursor to modern police programs than HSB.

Dana King said...

Excellent point about the Wambaugh shows. I loved them when they were on and they had an edge to them no else had in those days. I'm going to have to look for them. Vic Morrow was always outstanding.