Thursday, August 29, 2024

An Interview With Chris Quarembo, Author of Killer Deals

 Chris Quarembo is an award-winning former news reporter who also worked as a speechwriter and ghostwriter for corporate executives. A member of Sisters in Crime, Killer Deals is her debut novel, accompanying multiple short stories..

 

When not reading or writing, Chris loves live theater, art museums, and travel, especially in France and Italy. She is a volunteer docent at the Barnes Foundation, an early modern art collection in Philadelphia.

 

For more information about Chris and her books, check out her website.

 

One Bite at a Time: Welcome to the blog, Chris. We met at the Malice Domestic conference last April; your novel, Killer Deals, came out in May of 2023. Has your impression of conferences changed since you became published?


 

Chris Quarembo: I found the many conferences I’ve attended fun and valuable learning experience both as a published author and an aspiring author. I’ve learned more about the craft of writing and the publishing industry than I would have any other way. And I’ve found the writing community welcoming and generous in sharing their knowledge. This community is so important because writing is a solitary craft and writers need support to keep going.

 

OBAAT: Your background is as a newspaper reporter, which is fertile ground for crime writers, most famously Micheal Connelly and David Simon. Did you cover the crime beat or did your interest and knowledge come from elsewhere?

 

CQ: I covered criminal courts, which allowed me to observe trials, guilty pleas, and hearings on legal motions. As a result, I learned a great deal about Pennsylvania criminal law and legal proceedings. In addition, I was able to interview detectives, prosecutors, defense attorneys and judges. However, I decided to write Killer Deals from the perspective of a private investigator, who enjoys more flexibility and independence than anyone in law enforcement.

 

OBAAT: You were a reporter, so this is a good question for you I can pass along to struggling writers: What do think of writer’s block? Does it even exist? If so, how do you overcome it?

 

CQ: I’m sure writer’s block does exist. However, when you’re a reporter with a daily deadline you learn to write your stories no matter what. The clock is ticking and it helps concentrate the mind. I still write every day and miss it if I don’t. My best advice is to sit at your desk or computer and write, don’t edit. Simply get words on the page and edit later. Steve Martin, a great writer as well as comedian, said that he thought he had done pretty well considering he started out with a bunch of blank paper.

 

OBAAT: Your protagonist, Andrea Fabiano, is an Italian girl from South Philly. Coincidentally, you are an Italian girl from South Philly. How much of you is in Andrea? Did you make conscious decisions which elements of yourself to include and which to change?

 

CQ: I am Italian American. Both my maternal and paternal grandparents were born in Italy and lived in South Philly. I visited them often along with my aunts, uncles and cousins. However, I didn’t live in South Philly. For the bulk of my career, I lived in Boston and New York. Beyond the ethnic and gender similarities Andrea bears little resemblance to me. I wanted to create a strong female protagonist, who has to deal with what life has thrown at her but is undeterred from living her life as she chooses.

 

OBAAT: A look through your reviews shows consistent praise for your pacing. How do you keep things moving without letting them become frantic?

 


CQ
: I like to keep things moving through dialogue. One of my favorite crime novels is The Friends of Eddie Coyle, which is told entirely through dialogue. Dialogue not only keeps the story moving but also serves character development, both essential in crime fiction. In Killer Deals, the fast pace of the dialogue is balanced by Andrea’s reflections on what she’s uncovered, and her interactions with the people close to her, who are not involved in the main plot.

 

OBAAT: Is Andrea about to become the lead in a series? Either way, what’s next for you as a novelist?

 

CQ: I’m working on a new Andrea Fabiano novel. There is no firm date right now for publication but later next year is the target.

 

 

No comments: