Thursday, August 22, 2024

Why I am Self-Publishing Again

To paraphrase Joel Cairo in The Maltese Falcon, my experiences with the publishing industry have not been such that I am eager to repeat them.

In no particular order:

·       After negotiating a release date for an e-book version of a novel (like it wasn’t already bad enough they weren’t released together), the e-book did not come out on the agreed upon date. When I asked why not the publisher said, “I changed my mind.”

I would have liked to have been told. As a courtesy, if nothing else.

·       A magazine accepted a story of mine but never told me when it would run. I assumed it hadn’t until I tripped over it months later.  When asked why they snuck it in without telling me, I was told they consider it the author’s responsibility to keep up with things like that.

·       Receiving quarterly statements annually.

·       I gave a publisher an exclusive, during which time they dithered for well over a year, made several suggestions – which I adopted – then, when my agent and I pressed for a decision, blew me off with a two-sentence e-mail that contained misspelled words and grammatical errors.

·       I spent hundreds of dollars on a promotional campaign and would have spent more but could not receive any sales figures when I requested them so I had no idea how effective the campaign was.

·       Probably not very, as I was informed later the new hire/intern (I forget which) assigned for the social media campaign forgot and the entire venture was uncoordinated

·       A Hollywood producer who expressed enough interest in the Penns River series that I

o   Wrote a pitch.

o   Wrote a draft screenplay.

o   Traveled to Western Pennsylvania to look at locations

before he apparently lost interest. Last report I had was that Netflix did not pass, but said we needed an experienced showrunner. He either couldn’t find one, or didn’t want to. Either way, after saying things might be sidetracked because he had a possible new gig lined up. I never heard from him again, not even to say he accepted the new job.My track record has shown I am more than capable of fucking things up all by myself. I was kind of hoping these guys might be more helpful.

I now own all the rights to all my books and will re-release the Penns River novels with new covers between now and the end of the year. There won’t be a big campaign, as nothing will be new except the covers and I don’t want to confuse people.

Here are the benefits I see in returning to self-publishing:

·       I write what I want, when I want to. In fairness, my previous publisher did not restrict me in this regard.

·       The books come out on my schedule. If I want it in print six weeks after I finish it – two weeks after I finish it, the day I finish it – it will happen.

·       I can set my own pricing, within certain guidelines. There is no way I can win if a reader has to choose between a Michael Connelly book and mine if mine is more expensive.

·       I can get sales and revenue figures any time I want. Literally 24 hours a day 365 days a year. (366 days on leap years.)

I also won’t have anyone else to worry about. I know I shouldn’t, but I always felt bad a little when my books didn’t sell any better than they did. I knew the publisher had invested time and effort in me that some other writer could have used and would have appreciated. I felt a sense of obligation. Now the only person I have to worry about pleasing is me, and my loyal cadre of readers.

What do I lose?

·       Free editing. (I know an excellent editor if I need one. I’ll just have to pay for it myself.)

·       Free covers. (The Beloved Spouse™ and I have come up with ongoing cover schemes we like that are unique and will unify the books in each series.)

Bookstores never stocked my books when I was commercially published, so no loss there.

Last but not least, I can’t possibly make less money. Having to pay for editing is an added expense, but whatever I do with that, my sales numbers will not suffer. They can’t, and I mean that literally.

Could I find another publisher? Probably. While my sales suck, I’m respected enough that another small press would likely pick me up. Do I care? Not really. I don’t want to cast aspersions on all publishers; there are a couple I think I’d be quite satisfied with. If I were twenty years younger I’d be all over them.

Here’s the thing: I’m not twenty years younger. I’m 68 years old and have enough books I want to write I doubt I could have them all written by the time I’m 75 even if I never have another idea, and the ideas seem to come quicker all the time. If I went with a publisher those books might take ten to twelve years to see the light of day, if they’re published at all.

The Western drop in the fall; the next Nick Forte no later than spring of 2025. I expect to put out at least three books every two years after that as the Forte series continues, the Penns River series concludes, and a handful of standalone ideas come to fruition. The books will still be as good as I can write them, even without adult supervision. When I don’t think I can invest the same effort as I always have, I’ll stop writing them.

So the short answer to “Why am I self-publishing again?” is, “It’s time.”


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't gone that route yet but I can at least understand the why of it. I'm very happy with my publisher and my sales suck. Between the fact I had horrible experiences with promotion (paying for them) and the fact I'm not nearly as open to doing readings, etc., as you are, if or when the time comes, I'll likely go the same route. Your books are FAR more interesting to me than Connelly, et al. FACT. I think it's the luck of the draw when first published and that once a debut book doesn't do the numbers publishers require, it's a quick trip to smaller publishers. I have nothing but praise for my publisher putting up with my politics, which can't do much for promoting my books, and I also pay for editing, aside from the editing my publisher provides if I want it. Publishing reminds us it's a cruel world out there. I had some frustration with ARCS but I figured out a way to preclude those in the future ... I hope. Your work is brilliant writing. Keep it going, no matter the venue.

Ef Deal said...

it's a tough decision, but in this day and age, it's a whole lot easier than it used to be.

Anonymous said...

You're a great writer. Your Penns River series never disappoints. I don't blame you a bit for striking off on your own. No hard working author should be treated so shabbily by his/her publisher.

Brian Drake said...

Valid reasons, and you're not alone. Good luck and let me know if you'd like a mention on my blog / podcast / FB page / whatever when you start pumping them out.

Colin Conway said...

Welcome back to Indie Publishing, my friend! The weather is great here. Excellent post.

EdEarl's Daddy said...

Your reasons for returning to self-publishing rang a big gong with me as I've been mulling over making one more run at traditional publishing. Like you, I'm an old fart and know the clock is ticking -- not sure I can afford to wait the three years plus to see my books get published, assuming they actually make it through that gauntlet. And couldn't agree more about the assholes in publishing that need a visit from our friend Al even though it might not improve their character. Sales of my books suck, although like the prophets of old, I'm a minor star in Germany but a pariah in my own country. But I call the shots, control the pace of my writing and have to put up with far fewer assholes. Except for the guy in the mirror. Him I have to put up with. Regards.

Dale T. Phillips said...

All this and more. So many more benefits to having complete control. We just got back from Killer Nashville- consider that for next year. Smaller than Bouchercon, VERY Indie-friendly, and you'd do great there. I gave 3 solo presentations, and was on 2 other panels. Sold a bunch of books and met dozens of new folks while reconnecting with friends from past years. Come hang out with us, and I'll introduce you around. You'll like the new life!

Dana King said...

Thank you to everyone for your thoughtful and encouraging responses. This is something else I should have mentioned: the crime writing community as as nurturing an environment as anyone could ask for, regardless of their creative outlet.