This is probably going to irritate some people, but I’m old,
which means I don’t give a fuck.
1.
I’m not going to read Dungeon Crawler Carl.
2.
What I know about Twilight means I’m not
going to read any of those.
3.
I’m not slavering at the mouth to grab hold of
the next bestseller.
1.
I’m as close to 100 as I am to 40 and therefore
officially old.
2.
I appreciate I have a finite amount of time remaining
to read anything.
3.
I’ve been reading for over sixty years, and I
know what I like.
4.
I’m not trying to build a career as a writer.
That ship has not only sailed, it is beyond the horizon.
The first three are all that matter to me. I don’t want to
hear what anyone thinks I should read or need to read; I already
can’t keep up with what I want to read. I know I don’t want to
read
1.
Books that mix sci-fi and fantasy with video
game rules.
2.
Forbidden love (with monsters), eternal
commitment (to monsters), a love triangle (with monsters), et cetera, et cetera
(probably also involving monsters.) If I want to read about monsters, I have
the Trump Administration.
3.
Bestsellers, with rare exceptions. I understand
there is a skill, even a talent, in writing a bestseller, and that I lack it.
I’m okay with that. The greatest musician this country has produced, Leonard
Bernstein, once lamented his inability to write a hit popular song and admired
those who could do so routinely. I find most bestsellers to be facile, strain
credulity, and spend too much time on description and things I tend to skip.
(Hat tip to Elmore Leonard.)
Which brings us to Number 4 on the second list above. I’m
not saying you shouldn’t do what Rob suggests. If you’re trying to build
a career, or even gain a foothold in the industry, these are things you should
at least be aware of.
1.
The publishing industry.
2.
Agents.
3.
The Trump Administration.
4.
Booksellers who make it almost impossible for
indie writers to get shelf space.
5.
Grammar Nazis
6.
The Trump Administration.
7.
Pedants of any stripe.
8.
People who don’t read.
9.
The Trump Administration, Natalie Harp in
particular.
10. The
Trump Administration in general.
(You may detect a pattern there.)
Do not comment that I’m old and cranky. I know I’m
old and cranky. My lifetime allotment of fucks to give ran out about the time I
learned my publisher would not provide sales figures except in the annual
“quarterly” reports I received, and I found errors in those. So take everything
here with a grain of salt.
And get off my lawn.




No comments:
Post a Comment