Friday, February 20, 2009

Letting You Down Easy

This alleged rejection by a Chinese financial magazine was sent in by a friend. Probably a legend, but still funny.

We have read your manuscript with boundless delight. If we were to publish your paper, it would be impossible for us to publish any work of lower standard. And as it is unthinkable that in the next thousand years we shall see its equal, we are, to our regret, compelled to return your divine composition, and to beg you a thousand times to overlook our short sight and timidity.

4 comments:

Sandra Scoppettone said...

Since I can't find an email for you I have to do it this way.

What in hell does this mean?

Apparently yoga also makes you lomg-winded and rambling while thinking you are making a depp, metaphysical point.

Can't rule out drugs, though.

You left this comment on my blog.

Anonymous said...

It's possible that this rejection is real, seriously. My wife is Taiwanese, and being around her family and friends has taught me some things about Chinese culture: they don't like to say no.

Example: A few years ago we were in Taiwan having lunch with a friend of hers. He invited us to his hometown, but we didn't want to go. We couldn't just say that we didn't feel like making the trip. Instead we had to say something like "Oh that would, be great, we'd like to go, but..."

Chinese are direct with each other in that way; you have to make no sound like yes. Everyone knows you really mean no, but you have to keep up the charade anyway.

So I wouldn't be surprised at all if that were real.

Paul D Brazill said...

I love it. i'm very shallow and it would work for me.

Dana King said...

John,
I'm no Asian scholar, but I know saving face is very important. Combined with your statement, this makes a convincing argument for the statement's authenticity.

Paul,
Me, too. I'd be nodding and shaking hands and feeling good about things until the door closed and I'm in the street wondering, "What just happened here?"