Thursday, May 9, 2024

The Evil Empires

 The Beloved Spouse™ and I try to be good citizens. We vote. We pay our taxes. We never shirk summonses for jury duty. We set aside money each month for worthy causes. We make an effort.

 

But it gets harder all the time.

 

I think I’ve bought two things at Wal-Mart in the past twenty years. Even then it was because I needed something right now and couldn’t find it anywhere else. I am aware of Wal-Mart’s historical record with local businesses and their workforce and have little good to say about it.

 

But we buy a lot of stuff on Amazon, which is no better and might be worse.

 

We resolve to do more shopping elsewhere. We’ve begun to find things on Amazon, then look to see if they’re available locally, or online elsewhere. Not as convenient, but if it’s not too much more expensive we can’t afford it, or can’t live without it if it is, we’re walking away from Amazon as our go-to source for a lot of things.

 

But I’m a writer. I depend on Amazon for what passes as my career, especially now that I am self-publishing again.

 

Why I am returning to self-publishing is a post for another day; it’s a saga of its own. Accepting the premise that traditional publishing is not a good deal for me, here’s my conundrum:

·       Amazon makes it easy to create and sell my books. Hell, Amazon makes it possible to create and sell my books.

·       Much as I love small bookstores, they will not stock books unless the publisher accepts returns; they also do not typically host events for books they do not carry. (This is not limited to self-published authors. I had the same issue when I was under contract.) I can interview “real” authors and bring books to sell on consignment, or I can try to join a larger event. I did the latter several weeks ago. The bookstore not only did not promote the event, most of the employees didn’t know we were there, so no potential customers were directed around back where a dozen authors were eager to meet them. In fairness, they did pay promptly for the book I sold.

 

So Amazon is what I have left, despite its failures as a corporate citizen. Well, I guess I could write in a vacuum and deliver the results free as e-books to friends upon request. What would that involve?

·       Writing the book on Microsoft Word. (Or Google Docs or Apple Pages.)

·       Letting folks know about it through Facebook and The Social Media Platform Formerly Known as Twitter.

·       Sending electronic copies via G-Mail.

 

That leaves me to deal with some combination of Microsoft, Apple, Google, Meta, and whatever TSMPFKaT’s parent company is called, none of which are any better than Amazon.

 

Fuck.

 

The problem with trying to have a conscience is how much we are surrounded by people and entities that do not. Tech companies are the worst. No one starts a tech company to build an ongoing enterprise anymore. They start them to get enough of a niche for one of the giants to buy the company – or their company’s technology – so they can cash in. I have firsthand experience with this, so I’m well familiar with it. The situation is as likely to change as Joe Biden is likely to appoint Marjorie Taylor Greene to the post of NASA Administrator.

 

I enjoy telling stories. I enjoy the editing process. Writing posts about the craft on this blog. Doing what I can to promote others. Appearing at conferences and events. I don’t care that I don’t make any money from it. The entire process enriches my soul. It brings me joy.

 

Until, that is, something makes me look at the entities I have to work with for even my small niche. A more soul-sucking bunch of Midases for whom too much is never enough cannot be found outside of Nestle, the CEO of which believes water should be a commodity.

 

We’ve cut way back on our Amazon purchases. As for the writing, I guess this is going to be one of those situations where I need to have the serenity to accept something I cannot change. I’ll try to make up for it elsewhere.

4 comments:

EdEarl's Daddy said...

Depressingly true. The only thing writers like us can do is stay focused on storytelling and the horrible joy it gives us as well as the support and friendship of fellow travelers.

Dana King said...

Amen, brother.

Mark Bergin said...

Screw serenity. You have the courage to do what you want or need to do to get your books elsewhere, down to and including emailing it out free to all requesters. I offered this recently in a FB post and (I guess I’m thankful that) no one took me up on it. We’re in a crazy, unpredictable and hard business but, fortunately, one that allows many paths to success. Or many definitions of success. Down the road, you will have an interesting perspective on two well-trodden paths to readers, if not fame. In my case, switching my debut novel from a small (tiny? Invisible?) publisher to a short stint of self-publishing has led to a dramatic increase in sales (six in a year now, more that all in the last two.) This will change soon. Details follow

Dana King said...

Thanks. I don't know how much courage it took; it's not like I was risking a career by writing this. I do appreciate your support. I suspect there are many more than just the two of us who feel this frustration.